Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thin Airrogance

Nope, that title isn't spelt wrong. It's supposed to be that way. Despite the time reading 12:18 at the current moment I haven't lost my brain quite yet. Maybe I should add '(sic)' to the end of the title. Actually, no, that would just be weird. Yep, it's Thursday and despite promising to blog once a week about REDC, I failed last week. So this week I'll have to make up for it. Uhum. Not gonna happen. But I will share one interesting thing I learned tonight. From Lucado (I hear something from him every Wednesday night I think, but this particularly caught my attention). Especially when in society often the focus is on aiming high, on achievement, on how far you can get in life, on how well you can do things. Of course, I'm not suggesting that something like this is always bad, as such, but I was certainly woken up by the fact that it can get too much.


You can climb too high for yourself. Linger too long at high altitudes, and your hearing dulls and your eyesight dims. David (the king, from the Bible, to give a bit of context) had never been higher- he had established and distinguished himself as a great king. Think of the contrast from when he was in the valley of Elah choosing 5 small, smooth stones. Here he was never lower, and never stronger. But now it had been reversed. Never higher, never stronger.
But the thin air messed with David's senses. The high altitude meant he couldn't hear his Lord. He lost his vision. He got altitude sickness... (and then follows the story of adultery with Bathsheba and murder of Uriah).

Thin airrogance.

No comments:

Post a Comment