Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Car Part 2

This time, my post will be serious. No, I didn't just make up all that stuff about no back windscreen and a blown head gasket. But there is also something I've learned from this unpleasant experience. And it's got something to do with taking things for granted. I've posted about that before, but this time I have a concrete example to work from. Here goes, 5 things to think about:

1. What's right to do on a Sunday?
When my back windscreen smashed, I was wondering how I was ever going to get back to Perth (from Dunsborough). I first discovered it was broken on Sunday afternoon, and I had to work at 530am on Monday morning. Uh oh. So, should I ring RAC? It was Sunday after all. Or should I ring my boss and say I can't get back and so I can't work on Monday? Or is there any other way I can get back to Perth and use my sister's car to get to work on Monday morning? Should I even have planned to drive back on a Sunday? Some discussion right there- what's right to do on a Sunday, and what's not? I'm still not sure that I can answer that question, or perhaps the question isn't phrased correctly. Something to think about.
(By the way, I did end up ringing RAC (or should I say, I got Dad to do it, because I know nothing about cars)... But they couldn't help, because a broken back windscreen isn't classed as mechanical failure, and so I wasn't covered for them to come and fix it).

2. How much owning your own car and having your license does for your independence.
It's amazing how quickly you forget what a car and a license means. I remember first getting my P's, and being able to drive myself around, whenever I wanted, so long as I had a bit of fuel in the tank. But, after blowing a head gasket, my car was out of action. And all of a sudden, I couldn't go places whenever I wanted. I had to borrow a car or get a lift from someone. Freedom and independence in that regard, was something I'd never fully realised, or at least I'd forgotten.

3. How often we take material possessions for granted.
'I wouldn't be able to live without it!' is a pretty common expression. And even if we don't literally mean it, there are certain things that we pretty much can't live without. And for me, a car was one of those things. So much so, that I organised that I had a car to drive within two days (admittedly that wasn't all that difficult, but even so). This whole incident has been a lesson in thankfulness and gratitude for me. I'm actually thankful for a car, for the opportunity to drive, for good roads, for a way to get to places when I need to. That's just one example of the material things we forget about and take for granted. And I'm also very thankful for those people that drove me around everywhere when I didn't have a car to drive myself around in.

4. How things can change in a matter of three seconds (and don't boast!).
I was just telling Oma on Saturday that my car was running very well. All the cars owned by my family members recently had a service, and mine was the cheapest by far. Boastful much? I needed two new tires, but for the rest, everything was running smoothly. And I didn't even think about it, I just assumed it would run fine, I assumed it would start every time I turned the key, that it would get me places without breaking down. How many other things do we think will just work? But three seconds changed all of those 'don't-care' attitudes of mine toward my car. Now I may just have to buy a new one. There's so many things we can't predict. Thankfully it's all in God's hands.

5.  Trust God to provide!
I'm really hoping that the mechanic isn't going to say that my car's not worth fixing. And even if he does fix it, it'll cost a bit of money. I bought this car, for the price that I did, thinking that it would get me through uni at least, and hopefully a bit more. But it didn't even do that, well that's what I'm guessing... Money isn't the nicest thing in the world. Because it comes and leaves very quickly. And it drives the world (no pun intended)- sadly. For me, I'm going to have to learn to save a bit of money, use what God's given me wisely, and trust that He will provide everything in His good time. May this be a lesson that in everything we trust God's guidance, and when things don't go exactly according to plan, that He'll provide. 

1 comment:

  1. Kara!!!

    I'm happy that you've come to a happier conclusion!!! :). And that's nice and thought provoking :).

    ReplyDelete