Thursday, September 1, 2011

Patience

"Rejocing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer"
- Romans 12:12



It can be really hard to remain patient. There are things we look forward to, things we "can't wait for". There are things we wish were behind us, or that are dealt with at the click of our fingers. For me, life has taken a few difficult turns lately. Sometimes it's hard to take things in my stride, to 'live with it'. But at the same time, I guess I've learned some patience, although it's not perfected yet. And these struggles are not beyond what I can handle, and God's promises of protection and care remain. That is my confidence. He is still there. He is helping me through it all. He is teaching me patience.

In that sense, it isn't all about 'living with it', but rather recognising the opportunities God gives. Thinking about the good rather than the bad. Being thankful for the gifts received, rather than longing for more. For instance, I am thankful that I am not suffering for the faith, or under political persecution. I can still recieve daily comfort from God's Word and can cast my burdens on Him in prayer.

Ultimately we will suffer trials, but this life is only a beginning of a greater future. We are to use our time on this earth to glorify God; that is our aim. When life throws curveballs, we must use this also to bear fruit to His glory: to be patient, willing to forgive and love our neighbour, to persevere in the race of faith, to acknowledge God's hand in everything in life, to wait for answers to our prayers, to realise God's great character, to rejoice in the hope He gives of a glorious future. As we comprehend His love in Christ, we will find the courage to continue living a fruitful and happy life.

There is one thing that is the greatest longing. We must and can have "patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Thess 1:3). He is faithful.

1 comment:

  1. So true! makes me think of James 1 - "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." Pure joy - thats pretty full on!

    ReplyDelete