Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fish

I've been blessed to be able to spend the last few days in Dunsborough, on a mini holiday with my family (and extended family). After finishing my first term as a full-time employed teacher, I needed a break, and so it was nice to get away from home and work for a few days. I was hoping for a nice relaxing time, with some sun, sand, and salmon. After a whole day with no success on Monday, I was giving up hope of catching much, and my arms and feet were rather sore from spending so long trudging through the sand and casting out my rod. I even managed to snap my rod with one cast, so a new fishing rod is now on my 'to-buy' list, as well as many other things. Back to the story...

So on Tuesday most of the ladies went to spend a day in Busselton, by I couldn't be bothered, and was hoping to get another bit of fishing in. In the mean time, a few others left to go golfing, which I wasn't that interested in either. Dad came off the boat with a heap of salmon to clean, so I offered to help. Now I know what to do with a salmon fillet that's been de-headed and skinned. Anyway, a short time later U. Hilko rang Dad to see if I wanted to come out on the boat and catch some salmon. Although I was a bit hesitant (my past 3 boating experiences haven't been pleasant) I knew that there was fish out there, so I went to have a go, hoping the water wouldn't be too lumpy and I would survive without giving the fish some extra 'Kara-berley'. Less than an hour later I was back on shore with 3 salmon in hand.
Photo: The first salmon I caught. A whopping 4.75kg :)

They were big salmon, and after taking the boys for another spin, the boat was pulled in and we commenced cleaning. I now also sport a sore neck and shoulders from spending the ENTIRE afternoon cleaning. Turns out Dad did 7 hours of cleaning fish... My 4-5 hours seem measly, but it was ok, and I did enjoy a nice cousinly massage that evening. That just topped of a brilliant surf and turf dinner, some TV, a beer and iPad gaming.

Today was spent chillaxing, eating bakery goodies, catching up with old friends, and driving back (including a long freeway delay).

Thanks family and cousins (and super-duper-cute cousins' daughter) for an amazing few days! Now I get to look forward to another few days away with friends next week! Better do some work first, though.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment